Portfolio of some data journalism projects in which I participated:
“Wie hat Ihr Stimmkreis gewählt?” (Süddeutsche Zeitung, 2018)
Writing by numbers: After an election there are two tasks for journalism. First, report the results instantly (which is easy) and second interpret the results (which is not that easy). We wanted to do these two things in an automated way and as fast as possible for all election districts in Bavaria and Hesse. The approach were auto-generated texts and visualisations based on the results of every single district in Bavaria and Hesse: Did a district vote extraordinarily? Similar to the national level? Just slightly different? The method for finding differences was the Jenks algorithm.
#analysis #datavis #textgeneration #datapipeline #rstats
Das gespaltene Parlament (Süddeutsche Zeitung, 2018)
Using text mining in political reporting. How does a right-wing, populist party change the atmosphere and the debates in the German parliament? Answers can be found in the official protocols of the Bundestag.
- Main story in German or in English
- Data and Code can be found on Github.
- Methodology: Das steckt in den Bundestagsprotokollen
#datamining #datavis #rstats
“Wie wir über Umfragen berichten” (Süddeutsche Zeitung, 2017)
Show more uncertainty to be more precise. Traditionally, media outlets are reporting about a new poll in the following style:
If an election would be held today, party x would get y percent
of the votes. This is a decline of z percent compared to the previous
Covering polls like this is oversimplifying and even dangerous. Polls have real impact on decisions of politicians and voters, e.g. due to feedback loops. Pollsters want to mirror the views of a whole electorate by asking 1000 to 2000 people. Of course, there is uncertainty. The approach: Making the visualization more complex, but more precise by showing the uncertainty.
- Code on Github
- Methodology: Wie wir über Umfragen berichten – in English: How we report on polls
- Umfragen sind nur ein Schnappschuss der Gegenwart – in English: Surveys are just a snapshot of the present
- Süddeutsche Zeitung is improving the way media reports on political polls: (https://twitter.com/GENinnovate) about the project
#datavis #rstats #statistics #pollingdata
Der Facebook-Faktor – Wie das soziale Netzwerk die Wahl beeinflusst (Süddeutsche Zeitung, 2017)
Getting an idea of the blackbox Facebook: Investigating the political sphere on Facebook by crawling the sites of political parties and active users. We evaluated more than one million public Facebook likes from a little less than 5000 politically interested Facebook users.
Awarded with the Acatech prize for Tech Journalism 2017.
- Main story: Der Facebook Faktor
- Methodology: So haben wir die Daten recherchiert
- Von AfD bis Linkspartei – so politisch ist Facebook
- Was links und rechts verbindet – und trennt
- Wie es in Facebooks Echokammern aussieht – von links bis rechts
- All stories
#socialmedia #datavis #analysis #rstats